April 2, 2007

Big Change Tomorrow

Spring break is finished and tomorrow we begin our second year at the preschool. (Japan's school year goes from April.) R will be one of the bigger kids.

T starts elementary school tomorrow in the living room. We're going to homeschool him. I'll do English with him for an hour early in the morning, then breakfast, and when I leave for work Tomomi will cover Japanese and the other subjects. We will mostly using recommendations from The Well-Trained Mind by Jessie Wise and Susan Wise Bauer. It's a classical approach and what I like about it, besides the fact that they emphasize literature, is that the history curriculum is very broad in scope. Most of the other stuff we looked at was very, very American. As a binational, we think T will benefit from a more universal approach.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll be posting a lot about our homeschooling experience and the specific challenges of doing it in Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment